Friday, November 16, 2007

Michaels Church, Munich

First day in Munich were snow flurries. I'm in a flurry myself. A friend's opening was a success. There's lots to see. I thought I might need a better, more fashionable pair of shoes to wear to the opening, but it wasn't necessary. In the art world, jeans and a T-shirt are always acceptable attire. Funny enough, I've dressed nicely here, but when I'm back in Rotterdam, I can't be bothered. I dress down all the time.

Munich people are friendly and helpful. They are always glad to show you the way, and they're generally courteous. I guess when you live in a city that's as successful and rich as Munich, you can afford to be nice.

I spent the morning trying to get going. The beer is pure, no funny ingredients, or additives allowed here, and I only drank one of them, but I still woke up with a headache that hasn't gone away with two painkillers. Maybe it's the shoes, or the cold, or the flat pillow I slept on last night. Tonight I'm in the Marriott, which should be kinder on my neck. The pillows are big and fluffy.

After walking around all night Thursday in a new pair of boots that were pinching my toes, I was still able to exchange them for a bigger pair. The soles are solid rubber. All I did was wash them off with soap, and the sales lady didn't notice. How exciting.

This morning I walked into a church in the old center of Munich called the St. Michaels Church. It was almost totally rebuilt after the war. Much of Munich was rebuilt from the rubble back into it's original, pre-war state. It's a lovely city. There was an organist playing, and I sat down and listened. Organ music makes me so emotional. I love listening to it. It brings up the depth of my sorrow. When it stops, the mood passes away with it. My mood changes with the music, following its depth. A big old church is a wonderful place to sit and think.

Sunday morning they're having a concert there. I think I'll go to it.

No comments: