Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Falling Behind in Swedish


I bought two packages of lebkuchen at the airport in Munich. Lebkuchen is a delicious Bavarian cookie with bits of ginger. My father used to make it at Christmas time every year, and hang it on the tree. At Christmas time in Munich, you can go to the Kriskindlmarkt, and buy ornamative lebkuchen with lovely designs on them, and different personalized messages. It looked like they sold them at the train station, but I tried going to the Virtualienmarkt on Sunday to get some, because I thought they'd be fresher. The woman who sold me my train ticket to the airport told me that the market was open in Sunday, so I shot over there. Shops aren't open in Munich on Sunday. It's a Catholic city. I knew this, but I believed her. Of course, all the stands were closed, so I walked around in the sun some more taking terribly grainy, worthlessly small photographs with my cell phone.

When I got back from Munich, I gave the cookies to my kids. They didn't like them, so I ate an entire pack. They weren't as tasty as some that I sampled at a bakery around the corner from my hotel, but still, they were delicious. I just couldn't stop eating them. The other pack can be for my husband.

Once in my twenties in New York City, I made a big batch of lebkuchen using a recipe from The Joy of Cooking. I brought them to a German friend at Hunter College. She was very happy to have them, and thanked me many times. I wish her well. She's in India now, trying to get back to Germany with her son.

Following the edict to post everyday, but neglecting my Swedish homework.

I'll have to make a fresh batch of lebkuchen soon. I still have The Joy of Cooking. You can actually buy the wafers they use for the bottom of cookies at the HEMA.

No comments: