Saturday, November 10, 2007

Palm Reading Student


As a writing tutor at The Hunter College Writing Center I got assigned a young female Asian student who was supposed to be one of my regular students that semester. She was either Korean or Chinese. Sorry, I can't remember. She only showed up once, and when she did, she offered to read my palm. I was intrigued.

She studied it for a moment.

"You're going to have two, perhaps three children. If you don't get married now, you won't marry until you're about thirty. You have a long lifeline, but there's a break in it, which means that you will be ill, but you will live a long life."

So far, so good.

She studied my hand some more, then developed a horrified look on her face, putting my hand back down on the desk.

"I have to leave now. I'll finish reading palm next week." She smiled a bit, and then rushed off in a panic.

She never came back.

I heard from another tutor that she had a reputation for not showing up. I always sort of wondered if it had anything to do with what she saw in the lines of my hand.

1 comment:

Andy Baker said...

That's a really nice story. I also like the picture. Your pictures are just nice, arty shots usually. That's nice. I feel completely contained by my photos. I need to get out of that. Better post quick. It's Sunday!