Sunday, November 4, 2007

Playing Dolls


It's the chance of a lifetime. Now's the time. The golden moment to play dolls, My Little Pony, school, all day long, for hours. I have the cutest playmate, too. She's ever so sweet and charming. She's full of energy, creativity, positivity, and her mother is a dolt. I wish I were still good at building Lego, and making ponies flutter around, or fighting with Bionicles, complete with sound effects.

She's such a cooperative playmate, she tells me what to say and do the entire time. It's really a grand opportunity, and I'm blowing it. I could be using my acting skills. It's like a free improve course with my kids, and we're all in it together. All I have to do is let loose, be silly, act dumb, ham it up, throw in some voices.

It isn't over yet. There's always tomorrow, and all of the other days that follow, until they've grown out of their toys, and out of me, and are gone. This could be my second childhood. I could laugh, and be free. I could be a good housewife, and love it all, instead of pining for my own time.

There was a day, when I was much, much younger, that I was very good at all of these things. I try. I vouch to myself every time. I will play sincerely, with gusto and creativity. After days of the same, my ability to become enchanted is sucked dry. Perhaps I'm just not very good at this. Maybe I just need a break, or a little balance in my life. Perhaps.

By the way, I tried turning the photo several times, but it's uncooperative. Maybe there's a message in there somewhere.

No comments: