Saturday, November 17, 2007

Lederhosen, Drindles, etc.


I'm a little pressed for time here. I bought an hour internet connection, and I don't want to go over my hour, or have to pay more than is necessary. I think I have a half an hour left, and my mind is a bit blank. I've been in Munich for a day and a half. Today, I feel like I wafted around the old center. Then, my friend called me to meet up. I had dinner with his family. They're nice people. Still, it feels a little bit like flitting around, flitting, fluttering, but not enough flutter. I was supposed to meet up with a friend from high school who I haven't seen in 20 years, but I don't know what happened to him.

It's an old cliché of Munich that people wear lederhosen and dirndles. So far, I haven't seen any. There's the odd man in a loden coat, or with a felt hat with a feather in it, which is also typically Bavarian. Mostly, the Bavarians seem to have shed their traditional garb for the modern clothes everyone else with money wears in the world. It's a bit boring, the uniformity in dress. The range of fashion has become so limited. No more colorful, flamboyant garb of old.

There are a lot of shops selling lederhosen and drindles for all ages. You can also purchase traditional footwear. It isn't cheap. An outfit would probably run you about 300 Euro. I don't think I'll ever go for one.

I am wearing the German sweater I bought at the Rotterdam market a week ago. Funnily enough, I'm pretty certain it's a traditional Bavarian sweater. Of course it's logical, but I was mistaken for a German journalist in a gallery today. I wondered if it was the sweater.

No comments: