Sunday, November 18, 2007

Munich is Amazing


I could write a book about how amazing Munich is. It's such a beautiful city. I have to go back. There's so much to see, and the people there are remarkably courteous. I was truly astounded on the way from the airport at how silent the train was. Not a peep. It's a rule that people be quiet on the trains and Metros (U-Bahn, S-Bahn), and they actually follow the rule very conscientously. How refreshing.

A couple of times I asked for directions, and some of the people actually walked me to where I needed to go. Last night I was looking at my map after getting out on the wrong side of Central Station (Hauptbahnhof), and a woman walked me all the way to my hotel, and then invited me to a concert at an Evangelical church in central Munich. Munich people get five stars from me for attitude.

The city also offers endless cultural opportunities. Simply walking around and looking at all of the beautiful buildings is a treat. You don't even have to go in anyplace.

Yesterday I decided to make a trip to the Alte (Old) Pinakotek, and I was totally blown away by their collection of paintings. Lucas Cranach. Albrecht Dürer. Weyden. Holbein. Rembrandt. Too numerous to mention. I took 278 photos, of course, it's nearly impossible to take good photos of paintings like that, but I was enthralled, and couldn't help myself. Mideavil and Renaissance art really does have everything I need, I must say. It achieves so much, and is so rewarding to look at. I was there for five hours when they kicked me out.

Today I spent the whole day walking around.

First I went to a concert in the St. Michael Kirche, which is a Jesuit church in the old center of Munich. The church was packed when I got there. Standing room only, and the music. I couldn't help myself. It was so beautiful, so moving, I sobbed. Hayden. Of course, I sobbed discretely, but I sobbed, none-the-less. Afterward, the Bishop asked us all to thank the orchestra, choir, and organist, for "deses grösses muziek," "this big music." But, big in the sense of depth, importance, magnitude. The German word for "big" has all of these connotations.

Afterward, I walked to the Frauen Kirche, which just re-opened after undergoing a long rennovation. They were holding a service, so I had to be respectful. It was my second Eurcharist of the day. They don't do wine in Munich. All those people drinking from the same cup. Too unsanitary. So I got a nice little round wafer, and that was it. The body, without the blood.

After that I headed to the English Garden, making a stop at the Residenz underway. It was such beautiful weather, I decided to skip entering the Residenz, which is a Palace. I was running out of time, and wanted to see more of the city. Last time I was in Munich we visited several palaces, so I decided to go on an exploration walk instead.

Outside of the Residenz, I decided to take a few self portraits, and ended up dropping my camera on the concrete. What a shame. So many photos yet to take, and my camera was broken. I had to make due with my telephone, which takes low res photos. All the more reason to go back.

Did I mention that I love the German language? I could understand a lot of what people said. Almost everything, but I couldn't say much back. People there are so spontaneous. It's a wonderful place. Cheers!

No comments: