Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The Moon Tonight


The moon, the moon, the moon, balloon.

I just took this photo from our garden. The moon is full and bright, and the clouds are moving rapidly across it, changing the diffusion of light in the night sky. It was difficult getting a shot without neighboring buildings obstructing on the sidelines, and zooming with a small digital camera with little daylight only leads to a more blurred image. I didn't bother with a tripod. All of my photos are snapshots. My new digital camera is so dinky, and I haven't gotten used to it yet, which has resulted in many less photos. Perhaps the early days of my digital photographing mania are changing into a more cautious approach, although I personally don't see a problem with amassing hundreds of thousands of snap happy shots over the course of years. With film I took fewer consecutive shots, but I enjoy seeing a rapid series of images expressing movement, capturing the nuance of facial expression I would otherwise miss, or in this case, the many faces of the moon. A person's face, especially a child's is so varied in utterance. A variousness that can only be captured in its completeness in a frozen second, moments that would otherwise go underappreciated are recorded, and can be enjoyed again and again, with renewed wonder each time, over the course of our lifetimes.

No comments: