Monday, March 3, 2008

Head Gear


Speaking of religious garb (see previous post, Yesterday's Buddhist), I conducted a minor experiment two weeks ago when it was very cold on the school playground. I had forgotten my hat at home, and my head was freezing, so I tied my black velvet scarf around my head.

It's funny that wearing a scarf on one's head was once a chic and respected fashion statement. I recall silk scarves and sunglasses as being glamorous. Now, in present day Netherlands, it's become a political, or religious statement.

Anyway, I put my scarf on my head, and felt people sort of looking at me perplexed. Some people, anyway. Parents of children my kids go to school with. I'm a freak to most of them, so what does it matter.

A little bit later on on the Metro some Moroccan youth were friendly toward me, laughing and relaxed, not in a threatening way, but in a nice way. I was a little taken a back by their attitude, and I knew it had something to do with the scarf on my head.

It's too bad Islam can't get back to its more purist roots. Of course, Islam as a whole is getting a bad wrap. There are many fine Muslims who are out there suffering as a result. However, I think there are incidents of benevolent, highly cultured Islamic societies in history. I wonder why there isn't a greater discussion of this heritage in the media. Maybe if there were a greater awareness of this past people might start making minor alternations in their own lives. They and we would see another aspect of Islamic heritage. It could be like a ripple effect that might eventually spread across continents.

No comments: