Sunday, February 3, 2008

Film Festival Writer?


I had intended on writing reports on all the twenty or so odd films I saw at the Rotterdam Film Festival, but it's already moving so faraway into the past, it's becoming clouded already by everything that's moving in to replace it. Writing becomes a bit like stealing. Stealing time to write, pushing every other distraction out of the way in order to write. When I'm not writing, I'm dreaming of writing. Writing is always a vague notion for me. It's always lurking in the hazy regions of my thought. Writing requires the ability to insist on your right to it to yourself, to the people around you. Writing requires carving a space for yourself, to borrow a cliché. The funny thing is, when I'm not writing, and think that I really ought to be doing other more responsible things, I become so overwhelmed, I'm not capable of doing those things, either. Amid this lack, I may as well be writing.

No comments: