Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Antwerp Central Station


This would have been a great photo if I hadn't been so rushed taking it. I like the composition of the three police officers standing there, their shadows overlapping each other. The women in the background is also great.

When I moved here, Antwerp central station was only one floor, and trains that came in there had to turn around again to get out. It wasn't a through way. Now it's very modern with several levels built into the ground. I hadn't been there in years. It turned out well. They preserved the old roof, and the original brick work of the old station. The contrast between the ultra-modern levels, and the charming old station works well. It's spectacular going up the several escalators while looking up at the old roof and brick work. A very nice station.

Just an after thought on Belgian police officers. They always remind me of the Congo in their blue uniforms and caps. I read a book about the terror Belgium inflicted in the Congo. If a villager refused to cooperate in becoming a Belgian slave, the policy was to cut that person's hand off. I guess a lot of the wealth in Western countries is based on plunder and exploitation.

No comments: