Monday, October 8, 2007

Sojourner Truth

I changed my profile description today from, "Mama Mojo is a star trying to create something, anything, in the face of isolation," to "Mama Mojo is a sojourner currently living in The Netherlands."

When I typed "sojourner" into Google, I was reminded of Sojourner Truth, who made up the name herself, and became famous for her speech, "Ain't I a woman?" When we learned about her in Women and the Media, this phrase sent chills down my spine. What a heroic person she was.

I realize that sojourner is probably a combination of solitary and journey. My search didn't turn up an official definition, but lots of sites about Sojourner Truth. Her pseudonym says so much. Perhaps I'd be a braver person if, like her, I'd been forced into slavery, and born 13 children, only to see them taken away and sold off. It's incredible what some people's lives bring them. Perhaps I would have been totally broken down by such tribulation. Perhaps if I hadn't been born a relativist, I wouldn't be sitting here thinking about her now. I'd be out there digging my claws into gainful employment instead of endless rumination.

No comments: