Saturday, October 6, 2007

Misunderstood

Having felt vastly misunderstood ever since moving to The Netherlands in 1998, really felt like I've run into one brick wall after another, I found this interesting quote online last night. It clarifies much of the misrepresentation I've experienced here, from the neighbors, to the teachers at school, to literally just about everyone I've "bumped" into since coming here... Of course, there are a few valiant people out there who have been capable of looking beyond whatever it is about me that turns so many people off... Thank god for them!... The simple matter of the fact is, I don't belong in a flat country. It's quite obvious. I don't belong here... Here's the quote...

The fundamental attribution error: "The tendency for people to over-emphasize dispositional, or personality-based, explanations for behaviors observed in others while under-emphasizing situational explanations. In other words, people have an unjustified tendency to assume that a person's actions depend on what 'kind' of person that person is rather than on the social and environmental forces influencing the person." Amen.

No comments: