Thursday, August 27, 2009

Windmills in Schiedam


In Schiedam they're these big old windmills that're supposed to be the biggest the world. I guess you have to leave out the new modern ones to make such a claim. The mills in Schiedam were used to mill the grains to make the alcoholic drink, Jenever, a grain alcohol made with juniper berries.

There's a mill here where you can buy freshly milled flour the old fashioned way. It's wholesome stuff I use to make our pizzas, pancakes, cookies, brownies, cakes, and other things. Plus, the people working at the mill are helpful and friendly. Every May they hold an open day when you can go visit the miller for a demonstration. There's a mill that's been turned into a restaurant, and one that's a museum, a visit that includes a ride around the canals of Schiedam.

1 comment:

Editor said...

Wonder if you would be willing to do me a favor? It would require keeping an eye open in the used bookstores. In the 1950s, some sort of camping or outdoor association in the Netherlands published a guide to camping that included pictures of all the varieties of tents, backpacks, outerwear, etc., as it had evolved. Book was hardcover, green in colour. If you could spot one of those for me I would be most appreciative. I don't read the language but I appreciate the pictures. rinpoche(at)nyingmapa(dot)cn